Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Fire Island National Seashore



I had never been to Fire Island, never seen the lighthouse that was less than 30 minutes from my Grandma's house, but after talking to my good friend Colette, E and I decided to take a trip out there. Colette and her partner Jen live in Queens and I was beyond thrilled when they said they'd love to join us, and meet James.

We drove the short distance to the island, over a beautiful causeway arriving only minutes before Colette and Jen. They loved meeting James for the first time, and James charmed them with his biggest grins and happy squeals.

Then we loaded him up in our stroller, along with a picnic lunch and the camera and set off across the board walk towards the Fire Island Lighthouse. I adore lighthouses. Something so vintage, so nautical, so reminiscent of old times. We chatted and caught up with old friends while we happily strolled along the boardwalk.

Once at the lighthouse we toured the inside but decided against going to the top. This is unlike us, E and I are all about always seeing all there is to see, but due to the rule of no child under 40" (and no children can be carried) we decided that it would be more fun to climb to the top of Fire Island Lighthouse at a latter date, when James can join us at the top.

Soon James was getting a little fussy so we found a grassy spot and pulled out our picnic lunch. As we ate we chatted and caught up with Colette and Jen. It was perfect.

After a very nice and humid walk back from the lighthouse, we decided to join Colette and Jen on the beach for a few minutes. James was fading fast, due to the fact that he won't succumb to sleep in his stroller so we only stayed for twenty or so minutes. But it was wonderful and oh so beautiful.

The beach had a peaceful feel to it that Jones Beach is lacking. The little sand dunes covered in sea grass and the tipping wooden fences felt so North Eastern. And because James was sleepy it meant that he was snuggley. At one point he rested his little head on my shoulder and Mama and Baby looked out to sea.

It was an amazing day.

Into the National Seashore!


I took this lying down looking up at my boys. Glad it turned out.
Last photo is of Jen, Colette, James and E on the beach. Why didn't I get a few more photos of my dear friends?



Isn't this just so sweet. I love my little boy's head on my shoulder.
Looking out to sea.
Near the end of the day James really wanted to grab a shell, we handed it to him and it went directly into his mouth. Judging by the second photo, I'm not sure he likes the taste of it much.

3 comments:

  1. There is nothing like an east coast beach. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so great to see Florence doing so well. She will agree, you have a beautiful baby. Tell her hello and tell her I love her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those overalls are the cutest things I have EVER seen! Those are a keeper for his memory box!

    I agree...shells don't taste good.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails