Friday, November 18, 2005

Top 10 things to love about the holidays

10. Christmas Music- I am a total sucker for Christmas music. Once Thanksgiving comes and goes, I’m in Christmas music heaven. I love The Carpenters, Neil Diamond and many others. I can’t wait to start singing along once again!

9. Fondue- Every year on New Years Eve we have a huge fondue dinner with my family. Crunchy bread, broccoli, and bell peppers all dipped into a cheesy goodness makes for a great night.

8. Setting up the Christmas tree- the day after Thanksgiving I love to get out all my Christmas stuff, including the tree. I love to do the lights (I know, I’m crazy) and I love to look through all my ornaments looking for my favorites. My cats seem to think it’s a good way to spend an afternoon too.

7. Christmas Breakfast- Each year on Christmas morning we have this hash brown casserole thing that I refer to at “Christmas breakfast.” It includes hash browns in a sour cream white sauce with ham and baked eggs on top. It always tastes wonderful.

6. Snow! I love the first snow fall of the season, and it always gets me in the mood for the holidays. I love being in the warm house when big fat flakes are falling outside, and I also love being outside. Sledding, skiing, snowshoeing or just romping around in fresh powder is magical.

5. Turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce- I love Thanksgiving. I love that I can eat as much as I want, I love all the different types of food, I love being first with E’s family, then with mine (and the double dinner!) and I love that Thanksgiving kicks of the holiday season for me.

4. Presents- I love that Christmas time is the time for giving. I have fun planning my gifts and making sure I have just the right thing for everyone I love. I also like being in the stores around Christmas time, there is such excitement in the air. And wrapping all the presents I’ve purchased and putting them under the tree can’t be missed. (And I love opening my presents on Christmas morning!)

3. Luminary Walk- my grandparents started a new tradition a few years ago where we walk to a local cemetery that lights thousands of luminaries right before Christmas. We bundle up, get our flashlights, and set off. The cemetery is so beautiful! When we return we eat a big bowl of chili.

2. Christmas Eve- My second favorite thing about the season has to be the Christmas Eve party my grandparents throw each year. All the excitement for the next day is building, the food is spectacular, and it’s so fun to dress up! Everyone is so happy to be together, and we all have a wonderful time.

1. Family- The thing I love most about the holidays is that is about family. It means so much to me being with the people I love that all the other stuff is just an add on. Being with my fiancé, parents, siblings, cousins, grandparents, and aunts and uncles makes me truly thankful for the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails