Saturday, June 22, 2013

Celebrating the summer solstice in the mountains

Summer is officially here. My sweet sun nymphs and E and I celebrated with a walk around Silver Lake and dinner in the mountains.

Is that photo above just amazing?! It was my favorite photo from the entire day and I snapped it with my iPhone after we ate dinner and went exploring a bit more.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. E decided to take Friday off from work due to a very busy travel schedule in May and June. Luckily for us, it was also the longest day of the year.
We were so excited to use the portable BBQ again, we decided to take dinner up to Silver Lake and enjoy one of our favorite Utah mountain spots.
The majority of the trail is a boardwalk, wide and level, so quite easy for our newest "hiker".

E brought his binoculars in hopes of some wildlife spotting and James tried them out and wouldn't put them down. He looked like this for pretty much half the hike. (And can we just talk about how darling Juliet is?!!)
Glad he put them down for just a moment, and flashed such a darling smile.
Late in the day slanted light makes for the most magical scenes.


We brought the wagon but Juliet wanted to walk, and did in fact walk most of the .75 mile loop.
Once done with our walk we set up dinner at our favorite picnic site. There is a view of the wetlands, and this perfect little grassy spot for the kiddos to play while be prepared dinner.
This photo TOTALLY cracks me up. Oh Juliet. Crazy hair, whipped cream mustache. Love her.
Super easy mountain dinner consisted of store bought pasta salad and frog eye salad, chips, and delicious burgers grilled to order.
After dinner the sun dipped lower in the sky, turning everything golden.
My golden boy.

When the evening light catches the insects in the air it just speaks summer to me. I find it so beautiful.
And we did spot some wildlife! From the car on the way up we spotted a Mama moose and her twins right by the side of the road. Sweet babes.
Happy summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails