Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Summer Reading - part 1

I have finished a few more books since my last reading post.

Here is a review-

A Great and Terrible Beauty, by Libba Bray - My SIL loved this book along with the others in the series. The premise sounded fun, magic, a girls' school, and a mystery. I tried this book and just couldn't get into it. I finished about half of it, but didn't continue. Sorry Chelsea, I guess it wasn't for me. One star.

Hang a Thousand Trees with Ribbons, by Ann Ranaldi - this was another book that Chelsea recommended, and I loved it! I got swept right into the story, and loved how Phillis described the crossing and her being sold. Her mother's death was heart breaking, and I loved learning about Phillis Wheatley, the slave trade, and the mid 1700s. Four stars.

Kit books, by Valerie Tripp - with the new Kit items coming out, and Ruthie being released from American Girl, I wanted to re-read all of the Kit books. Reading American Girl books is great fun, really relaxing, and a very easy read. I re-read all of her books, her short stories, her adventure book, and peek into the past. Yep, I read everything. Five stars.

Really Truly Ruthie, by Valerie Tripp - once the Ruthie doll came out I purchased her and read her book in a snap. Ruthie is a sweet character, and although there wasn't a lot of meat to her story, I did enjoy reading it. Four stars.

My Antonia, by Willa Cather - I was assigned to read this book as a sophomore in high school, and I remember enjoying it. I re-read it in a few days, and really enjoyed the book the second time around. The book is slow but beautiful, and follows the life of a couple central characters as they grow up in Nebraska. The images of Nebraska in the summer were beautiful and moving. Four stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails