Saturday, October 09, 2010

Not my idea of a good time {trip to the ER}

We are all fine. James is back to his normal self. I'll make this short. I'm tired. Both emotionally and physically.

James, E and I were at Barnes and Noble earlier this evening. James was walking with his hand in mine like HE ALWAYS DOES and took a step off of a ledge in the children's area. I was holding his hand, and most of his weight as he took the step. I heard a pop. Then he started to scream and cry like I've never heard before.

E and I tried to calm him down to no avail. He was crying harder and longer than I've ever seen him cry. Every time he moved his arm he would start another huge round of tears.

We drove quickly to a little instant clinic. They saw us and thought it was his elbow (children this age can easily pop their elbows out of alignment, and it is very painful). They couldn't pop it back so they thought they better take X-Rays.

James was still screaming and there were so many tears running down his belly that now his pants were wet.

Taking him in the the X-ray room is one of my worst moments of parenthood so far. He was hysterical and I was supposed to hold him still while he lied in a dark room he was unfamiliar with, in extreme pain. Let's just say it was a new parenthood low.

The X-rays showed something was wrong and they weren't sure what. We were told to go to the Children's Hospital ER. At this point I was sobbing. The ER? Would he need surgery? The doctor did not know. This moment was a second parenthood low.

The drive to the hospital was long and horrible. James had luckily calmed down and was even smiling to E in the backseat. I kept my eyes on the road and blinked away the tears.

At the ER they saw us quickly, didn't think he needed more X-rays and within a moment had popped his sweet little elbow back into place. Within 30 seconds he was his old self. Ready to walk, playing with his calculator, and watching Shrek on the hospital TV.

We are home. Baby is in bed. I'm going to bed shortly. Glad tonight's outcome was as good as it was. I can't imagine how scary it would be to have been told something worse.
After he was all fixed up. You can see he is now able to lift his arm (which he was unable to do before) but notice he still has tears on his sweet little face.

9 comments:

  1. Poor guy! :( Glad he is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jessica, what an event! Poor James, poor you and E! It is just so scary when something is wrong with our babies. Max HATED X-rays. He was so scared of the room.

    Crying so hard his belly was wet...it made me want to cry reading that. I know the feeling. It is just terrible to see them like that.

    I am glad it is all over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad he is ok. That would seriously be a scary situation for all. Logan and I have visited the hospital many time, but these were scheduled visits. I can't imagine having a screaming baby and not being able to do anything to help him. Glad both you and James are fine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH JESS! I am so sorry you had to go through that! I was just cringing over here for you.

    So glad to hear things are okay now. I'm sending you lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stacey9:20 AM

    OH that is awful. I wanted to cry just reading about it! Hope all of you are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately, this is a big part of parenthood, especially when they start trying to walk. Just be glad there was no blood this time (like I had with his dad's first ER visit.)Please forgive yourselves and be happy like James. You are outstanding parents and these things just happen, even to the best. And brace yourselves, this is only the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! So glad he is ok and it wasn't really serious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear! What a stressful event! I'm glad he's doing okay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was one thing I never had to experience as a little kid...we hardly ever went to the doctor (never needed to, and mom didn't really want to take me if I didn't have to go) and the first time I went to the E.R. was when my uncle cut his leg open on a rock in Hawaii. lol.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails