Thursday, August 30, 2007

One of those books that change your life

There are a few books I've read over the years that I feel have changed my life; A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Beach Music, The Kite Runner, Fortune Rock, and Diary of Anne Frank to name a few. Well I finished another one of these life changing books last night: A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. Khaled is the same man that wrote The Kite Runner which has stuck with me for years since I finished it. Well his new book, A Thousand Splendid Suns was even better than The Kite Runner. It was fantastic to say the least. It broadened my prespective on the world, make me care for people more deeply than ever before, and made me more thankful for simple things like water and family.

The book is about two Afghan women, Mariam and Laila, who have very different lives. Mariam grows up in the mountains, in a loveless home and nobody to turn to. Her father marries her off to a man 30 years her senior when she is just 15. They move to Kabul on the same street Laila lives.

Laila grows up in the city, where she has love all around her, and a wonderful life full of education and friendship. She learns that woman can do anything, and education is the key. When the civil war moves to Kabul everything changes for Laila in a blink of an eye, and her neighbor, Mariam's husband, is the only one to help her.

Last night I cried when the book ended, which is always a sure sign it touched my heart.

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this for a long time. Now I REALLY want to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chelsea,
    I think you would really really like this book, it is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails