Monday, December 17, 2007

Everything tastes better dipped in cheese!

Now that I got that vent out of my system (see previous post) I can blog about something that I've been meaning to do all day, our fondue party E and I hosted last night!

So, as most of your know my Grandma is traveling to England for Christmas, so before she left I was excited to have a Christmas party. She left today, so we hosted a wonderful party last night! E and I decided to do a fondue party, who doesn't like things when they are dipped in a cheesy drunken goodness? Nobody, exactly.

The party started at 5:30 when my Grandma, aunt and uncle, cousins, Mom and Chuck, and three siblings showed up on my doorstep. We started chatting and hugging immediately, so happy Christmas is finally upon us. My Grandma was in charge of hor'dovers, and of course, she went all out. We had homemade crab cakes, shrimp, bruscetta, cheese and so much more. Soon we started exchanging gifts, Grandma had something for each of us, and we each had something for her.

E and I got something really special, a gift certificate to a night at the Homestead Resort! We are so excited! The Homestead in a great little getaway in rural Utah, and it is built on some natural hot springs, so it will be perfect on a winter weekend. Breakfast at the restaurant was included, so we are pretty excited.

Then we served the dinner, a huge pot of swiss cheese fondue (made with half a bottle of wine) and a fantastic Asian broth fondue. The items to dip included crunchy bread, mushrooms, grape tomatoes, sirloin steak, shrimp, snap peas, apples, and more. We ate and ate. Even when everyone said they were full, and we couldn't eat any more, we still ate.



The way we set up the fondue pots was fun too, there was a cheese fondue station and a broth fondue station, and people just migrated between them, so I ended up getting a chance to talk to everyone.

Soon most of the fondue was gone, and we were all tired and full. Now it was time for dessert, chocolate fondue! My mom brought a huge block of the most divine chocolate imaginable, cut it up into small chunks, mixed it with heavy cream and melted. We dipped berries, oranges, pound cake and bananas. As you can imagine, when we were done we were so full that we couldn't imagine ever eating again.
The party wound down and soon the house was quiet, but before E and I could settle down for a long winter's nap we had a kitchen full of dirty dishes. I realized just how thankful I am for dishwashers.

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. I love fondue! When we lived in Madison, my job always had a Big Gay Fondue Soirée on Valentine's Day.

    And what lovely hors d'ouevres! You should try making tiny samosas- yum!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails