Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Wedding on Lake Powell

As I mentioned in my earlier post, my mom really wanted a wedding at dusk with candles. She envisioned everyone wearing black with white flowers, and a very simple look. So, on the day of the wedding the entire house boat was busy. My grandma woke early and started to cook, Kendra, my Grandma and I worked on flowers for most of the afternoon, and we prepped and raked the beach. Everyone was hot, so quite often we would jump into the lake to cool off, only to begin working again.

As afternoon turned to evening, everything was set. We decided to have cocktails, presents and dinner before the actual ceremony, because we wanted to wait for dusk for the wedding. After the ceremony we had fantastic wedding cake and champagne!

So now for picture overload. Most of these were taken by E, he was the "official" wedding photographer.

Bride and Groom under the natural arch made of drift wood. Notice we added flowers and ribbon, but we didn't try to change the natural environment too much, it was already gorgeous.
Candles were set up along the beach and on the red rock, ready to be lit at dusk.
My mom's and Chuck's wedding rings. My mom has two, one from Chuck, and a more old fashioned one that was my Great Grandma's.
Before the wedding we all worked on various tasks in our swimsuits. When we got too hot, we'd take a dip. Here is my lovely cousin Kendra finishing some of the flowers. (Isn't she just too cute?)
E scopes out the beach before the party begins, trying to find all the perfect photo locations.
Just a few of my favorite shots from the evening.

Forgotten Canyon. This was the view from the house boat. Amazing.
During cocktail hour my mom noticed there was a squirrel on the beach. As we sat there, horrified, the squirrel went to each candle holder, tipped it over, put his face in, grabbed the candle by the wick, and took off running! E caught the entire thing on camera. These photos are too funny, be sure to click on each one to view it larger. He was such a bad squirrel! By night end he had stashed 5 candles!


Mike (who also played the officiant), Chuck and E moments before cocktails begin.
All the ladies of the evening. Laura, Mom, Grandma, me, Kendra and Melissa.
The food was amazing. It was unreal what we prepared from our coolers. Everything was so fresh, colorful and flavorful.

As the sun started to set the canyon walls turned orange.
Here is our entire group! All dressed in black, of course. E, me, Mike, Kendra, Grandma, Mom, Chuck, Laura, Melissa, Chandler, Kathleen, Brandon.
Right around dusk we all filed out to the beach with flowers and a candle. This was only moments before the bride and groom joined us.
During the ceremony. My grandma was totally tearing up. So sweet.
The candles nestled in the sandstone cliff looked so beautiful as the sky darkened.
Soon we all lit our candles and said a little something to the bride and groom. The atmosphere was magical.
In Utah you can become an officiant and actually marry two people! Mike got all the paperwork taken care of, and my Mom and Chuck went to the courthouse for a license. Everything was the real deal.
After the wedding everyone was ready to cool off and relax. What does my family do? Of course skinny dip! Almost everyone jumped in! It was so fun swimming in the dark with a full moon over head. You couldn't get too close to anyone, because the sky was so bright with the moon, you could almost see! E and my Grandma were the only ones that didn't get in. E was embarrassed, but not shocked, this is not the first time he's seen my family skinny dip!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, those pictures show what a great time we had. I am glad I have such a wonderful daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Everything looks so perfect. What a fun family you have. It seems as though you really had a great time at Forgotten Canyon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay that is totally amazing. We never put that much work into our trips, though we do have great food... hats off to you for all your plans and carrying them out. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails