Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Rumpus

With a heavy heart I have some sad news to share, we had to put our sweet kitty Rumpy down today. For the last six months he's lost so much weight, he was almost unrecognizable. Wet food didn't seem to improve anything and in the last week his thin frame became even thinner. Plus, he was having a hard time moving, washing himself, and so many other things.

E and I were literally watching him starve to death before our eyes.

It was heartbreaking.

So, we decided it was time. Such a hard decision. How does anyone do it? Thinking "this is his last night" and "this will be the last time he's home" are such hard emotional thoughts as you scoop up your little black and white companion and drive him to the vet for the very last time.

Putting him down was humane. He was old. Very old for kitty standards so he led a nice long happy life. But choosing "today is the day" is terrible. Heart wrenching.

And seeing him take his last breath, purr his last purr (because he purred until the very end) and holding him while his body became still and his heart stopped, it's not easy. It is so not easy.

Rumpy, you will be missed. So so very much.





Rumpus was never satisfied until he fully invaded your personal space and got his face right in your face. He was all about love, this boy.
He was SUCH a love. 
And this may be one of the last photos I took of Rumpus. It was about three weeks ago. I love it. I love the light on Rumpy's whiskers and I love that James somehow looks much younger. Such a good memory.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Jessica! Getting old is hard. Aging is hard. I'm glad that you have wonderful memories to cherish. What a good life, right?! I love the name Rumpus. Sweet photos. I'm sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry. He was such a sweet kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connie9:37 PM

    Thank you for such a sweet and well deserved tribute for a wonderful kitty! He really was all heart. I cried with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am crying like a baby. I love kitties and this broke my heart. It is the worst thing that you have to do, but you did it with love. My heart goes out to you.

    God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails