Monday, August 10, 2009

Saturday - Wedding Day

Saturday was beyond busy. I mentioned in an earlier post that I had never worked this hard in a single day, never. I woke up around 7:30 and was on my feet cooking, finalizing bridal bouquets, setting tables, organizing the bar, sweeping, worrying about rain, and setting things up until the wedding started. Once the wedding started I was continually busy helping set the pace, grabbing things from the kitchen, helping Jo's parents feel at home and doing everything else you can think of. All in all the day was beyond rewarding. Ben and Jo were so thankful to have all of this for them. The garden looked AMAZING, the rain clouds cleared a few minutes before photos were suppose to start and everything went perfectly.

The wedding started at 5:30 with a western ceremony on the patio. Guests faced the garden and music hummed quietly in the background. The air was still and clear, and luckily not too hot. The wedding started and I watched all of my best friends walk down the aisle. First Justin, David, Logan, E and Mike. Then the groom. Tears welled up in my eyes. I was the first of the ladies to walk down the aisle. I tried to walk slowly, smile and enjoy the moment. Jieun and Sunny followed close behind. Then it was time for Jo and her father to make their entrance. Even though I had been chatting with Jo in the hallway moments before her beauty and grace took my breath away. She was so beautiful, there with her father, about to marry the man that she loved.

The western ceremony was beautiful and meaningful. The judge had a lot to say about love and what it means to be loved. E looked at me with a smile on his face from across the bridal party. I looked back, smiling, loving him more than ever. Ben and Jo exchanged rings, repeated the very important vows and all too soon were kissing as husband and wife.

E (who was playing MC for the night) then asked the guests to join us on the upper lawn for appetizers and cocktails. Ben and Jo went inside to change into traditional Korean wedding costumes that was so important to both of them. Soon it was time for the traditional Korean wedding ceremony called Pyebaek. Jieun talked the guests through the stages of the ceremony. First the bride and groom bow to the parents. Then they pour wine and share with both the father and the mother. Then they bow again and listen to a few words of advice that the mother and father give. Then the mother and father throw dates and chestnuts to the bride and groom. Depending on how many they catch in a special scarf will depend on the amount of children they will have. Ben and Jo caught nearly all of them. We loved it!

After Pyebaek the guests went back to the upper lawn and enjoyed the cocktails and treats for a little longer while Ben and Jo changed back into their western clothes. This is when it got really busy for everyone who was helping. All the water glasses needed to be filled, all the chairs moved from the lower patio, all the candles lit, and dinner on the table in moments. Everyone that was assigned to help was amazing and things went smoothly. Ben and Jo joined the rest of the bridal party in the wooded area of the yard and E announced us each by name and the guests clapped. At last he said "and here are the guests of honor, Mr. and Mrs. Hollenbeck!" We all clapped and cheered. Then E invited the guests to take their plates to the dining room, dinner was served. And what a dinner it was! Everything was fantastic and cooked to perfection. The pork and salmon, the two main courses, people were raving about into the night. The caprese salad was so fresh and full of flavor, the berries and rolls were just wonderful. The Asian chicken salad was fantastic, everything was perfect. The helpers circled tables asking if we'd like wine, and the music danced across the garden. Ben and Jo finally got to sit down and enjoy the moment.

All too soon the sky began to get dark and it was time to cut the cake. Ben and Jo are so sweet, they went to cut the cake and instead of cutting through just one layer of the cake, they cut from top to bottom. They served each other and we all drank champagne. When it was time for toasts E did a fantastic job passing the mic from guest to guest and everyone had wonderful things to say. I teared up with my speech talking about how I remember when Jo asked me why I knew I wanted to be with E. I told her that because I know through and through, E is such a kind wonderful person. Then I remember telling her that the only other person I knew like that was Ben. I told her years ago that if she decided to one day marry Ben, I knew she would be happy, because of how kind and wonderful he is.

After too much cake and too much champagne (or sparkling cider in my case) everyone headed to the lower deck to watch Ben and Jo dance their first dance. Nat King Cole's beautiful voice filled the night air and Ben and Jo spun under the darkening sky. Soon the dance floor was open and we all swinged, swooned and danced the night away.

At the end of the night Jo tossed her bouquet (her sister Sunny caught it!) and Ben and Jo said goodbye to their guests. Everything was perfect. Jieun skipped out quickly and went back to decorate their room with candles and rose petals. So perfect.

Now for the photos. I have so many, I'll try to organize them a little, but remember, if you want a bigger view, just click and you'll be able to see a larger version.

The four of us. I love this one.
Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil. Cute idea.
Ben and his best friend E. And the two of us. My belly looked cute in this dress I think.

The cake was homemade by our friend Becky! Isn't that amazing! It was so beautiful and tasted divine. And the book signing table. Ben and Jo made it more personal with photographs and a beautiful book of wedding photos they had taken in Korea.

Part of the Pyebaek ceremony was to share a date between their mouths. Whoever ended up with the pit was the winner. Jo wins!
The tables looked amazing!

The garden was magical as the sun got lower and lower in the sky.
Jo and Ben finally sit for dinner.
Jo's dad Yoonki Cho, Grandma, and Mike.
My bouquet and the guest book table as it got darker. So beautiful.

Jo and Ben saying goodbye to guests as the night ends. Perfect.

5 comments:

  1. Reading all this makes me want to get married again!!! It sounds like a beautiful wedding! Good Job Jess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your grandmother did a beautiful job on everything. The bride looks luminous. I love the last picture especially where she's leaning on her new husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica!
    It was beautiful. You should be proud. Those pictures will be so fun to look back on in twenty years.

    I was wondering too if you would be willing to send me the one of me and Logan with half the group at the table? I didnt get any pictures of people or myself and Loge! Thanks!!
    brookeanderson13@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You are an amazing friend! I can't believe you did all of this and you are pregnant!!!! And you look fabulous. Did the wedding take place at your grandmother's house? I am just so impressed! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica,
    Yes, this wedding was in my Grandma's backyard.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails