Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Reading spurt

I love to read but don't always have the time or energy to pick up a new book. In college I read like a mad woman, finishing at least one big book a week because I would read on the bus, at home, instead of doing homework and sometimes even in class. Since I graduated my reading has slowed way down, for one thing I don't take the bus anymore, and I am usually so tired when I get off of work I usually don't pick up a book (I'm lucky if I can drag myself to the gym).

However, I have been reading a little bit, and want to record what I read, otherwise I forget, and it is hard to look back. I want to have a nice and easy book log to refer to. Plus, my friend Colette does this on her blog, and what can I say, she inspired me.

Books I've read so far this year:

1. Golden Compass by Philip Pullman - I loved this book. I wanted to read the book before seeing the movie, and I absolutely devoured this read. I loved learning about the North, the aura, deamons, and Lyra. Five stars.

2. The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman - This was the next book in the Dark Materials trilogy (Golden Compass being the first), and I didn't like it as much as I was hoping to. I loved certain aspects of the first book (Jordan College, learning about deamons, traveling with polar bears) that didn't seem to come across in book two. Three and a half stars.

3. The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman - the last book in the Dark Materials trilogy. This book like the previous one was not as good as the first. It was okay, and it was fun to see how the story ended, but it was a little confusing and not as magical as the first book. Two stars.

4. The Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson by Betty Bao - This book was recommended to me by a friend on one of my doll message boards because I was studying Chinese children immigrating to the United States. This is a kids book, and it was okay. Baseball doesn't really interest me, but it was fun developing Lei Mei's personality a little more with this book. Two and a half stars.

5. Cayman Islands, an Insight Guide- quick little travel guide for our next trip. I don't like Insight's guides as much as DK, but it did have some useful info. I wish it had more on snorkeling. Three stars.

And, in December I finally finished Wild Swans by Jung Chang. This book took me almost three months to finish, not because it wasn't good, but because it was dense. It was the true story of three generations of Chinese women growing up in 20th century China. I learned a TON and really enjoyed the book. Four stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails