Tuesday, July 01, 2008

E's Birthday weekend at the cabin

E's birthday is today. Happy Birthday my love.Last weekend we celebrated by going up to the cabin with my family. Here is how the weekend went (in photos):

On Saturday morning E and I woke up fairly early and started to pack for the weekend ahead. This meant packing our cooler, sleeping bags, dutch ovens, books, etc. As we packed, Moose decided that my sleeping bag looked really really cozy and snuggled up. When it was time to pack it, he was not happy to have to move.
Finally around 11:30 we headed out. Once at the cabin we unpacked a little, walked down to the meadow (which was really flooded with all the snow melt), looked for frogs and relaxed. The meadow is, and always has been, my favorite place in the entire world. I could sit there all day enjoying the outdoors.While in the meadow I caught a few frogs. I didn't take any photos of me with the little guys, but I snapped a few with Violet. Here is one of my favorites (to see the others go to Violet's blog):Soon my Grandma and Mom showed up. We wanted to take a walk in the meadow. We walked over to the edge of the meadow and collected flowers in the shade. The aspen forests were lovely, so green and magical. The sun sliced the air and a steep angle and the flowers sparkled in the deep green underbrush.
As we walked back towards the cabin we saw my Aunt Laura, Uncle Mike and cousin Kendra walking towards us, they had just arrived. We played with the dogs a little bit in the stream before heading back to the cabin to start cocktail hour. Whenever I blog about my family, I write about our awesome cocktail hour, and this one was no exception. My Mom had gone to the farmer's market and picked up fresh cherries, peas, and other goodies. My Grandma brought cheese and crackers, apples, nuts and even made a quesadilla. Laura and Mike brought a huge bag of limes and squeezed them fresh, and we had fresh lime juice margaritas. Wow. Here are Kendra and I enjoying cocktail hour.As we ate snacks and sipped drinks E started on the main course, chicken pot pie in the dutch oven! We had made this recipe once before, back when we went to Canyonlands. Anyway, the pot pie was just as good this time around. We were worried we'd have too much food, but the eight of us were able to eat the entire pot pie without a problem. For dessert Laura and Mike made and upside down pineapple cake. It was so delish, and is absolutely one of my favorite dutch oven desserts.

That night I slept under the stars in the bug tent (gotta keep the flies away!) and the next morning woke up to another beautiful day. As I started cleaning up my cot and sleeping bag my Grandma was working on breakfast. She was making corned beef hash with poached eggs in the dutch oven. She had had this dish in San Fransisco a year before, and remembered it as a prime cabin breakfast. Laura made biscuits for the dutch oven, and we had fruit and jam. Damn we know how to make the outdoors rock.After breakfast was cleaned up I taught Kendra how to braid Violet's hair and embroider. She wanted to have me make a pillow for the cabin, but once I taught her my embroidery secrets, Kendra couldn't stop. The pillow is looking awesome.

Soon we packed up our day packs and headed to the lake. The lake is a hike we take almost every time we are at the cabin. It is a short steep walk with lots of beautiful areas. The aspen forests never cease to amaze me.After the hike everyone left and E and I decided to take a nap. Also, I wanted to spend a little more time in the meadow before we headed back towards the city for another Monday.

We had an awesome time at the cabin, and can't wait to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails