Friday, July 11, 2008

NYC - part 3 (the best part!)

Monday morning Ben, Jo, E and I woke up with big plans. Jo had a lunch set with a friend of her sister's, so we hoped on the Subway and headed towards 32st street, or Korea Way. We looked around and poked our heads into bookstores. I was truly impressed with how much Korean Ben knows, he was even able to read some children's books in Korean!

Soon it was time for Jo to meet her friend, so Ben, E and I headed towards Grand Central Station. I love Grand Central, something about train travel is so romantic to me. Grand Central is awesome, it is huge, romantic, and one of my all time favorite buildings in NYC (the Met is also up there near the top).

Ben, E and I went to the lower level of Grand Central, got some lunch and reviewed some very important planning for that evening. Ben wanted to see "the goods" which E and I had carefully brought with us from Utah. (Are you confused? I'm being vague for a reason!) E and I had some very important jobs. We needed to do the hand-off, pretend there was a family emergency, and notify the restaurant that we had arrived, all without Jo suspecting anything.

After lunch we took a short stop in the Chrysler Building's lobby and then walked back towards Korea Way to meet Jo. Once we met up with her (she still had no idea about the night's plans) we hopped on the Subway again and went towards Battery Park.

Once there we realized our mistake, never ever try to take a ferry out to Ellis and Liberty Island in the middle of the day right after a holiday weekend. Although I've been to NYC many many times, I've never been to Liberty or Ellis Islands. I have always really wanted to go to Ellis Island because that is where my dad's side of the family came through. My Great Grandma even has her name listed on the plaques. Anyway, after waiting in a really long and really hot line, we finally got on the boat. We spent a very short time on Liberty Island but we did get our National Park Passports stamped.

Ben and Jo (for those of you who don't know them).
Liberty herself.
Then we were onto Ellis Island. It was really interesting to be there. Jo and I both had a strong reaction, me because this is a place that changed my family's history forever when they escaped the Nazis before the world wars. Jo had a strong reaction because, she herself, is an immigrant. One day she might be a US citizen, but right now she is working and living in the US with a visa. We looked around quickly and found my Grandma's name (Gusta Stein Sturm) on the plaque before catching the next boat back to Manhattan.
We decided to go to the hotel for to rest and relax before dinner. I suggested we try a restaurant in Central Park for dinner, The Boat House, but of course this was all part of the plan. Ben had made reservations weeks in advance. Jo said The Boat House sounded fun, so step one was complete! Back in the hotel we took a mini rest and changed into nice clothes.

On the way into Central Park we all agreed what a beautiful night it was. When we arrived the secret plans really got into motion. While E talked with the hostess, I needed to keep Ben and Jo occupied. We walked out to the Bethesda Fountain and took a few photos. Now was the time for Ben to propose!

On the walk back to the restaurant a few things happened very quickly:
1. I handed Ben the "goods" secretly
2. E told the Gondolier that we were here
3. E and I pretended that Melissa called with something urgent
4. The Gondolier pretended there had been a cancellation, and asked Ben and Jo if they would like to take a ride (really Ben had made a reservation for sunset weeks in advance)
5. Because I was on the phone with a "family emergency" E and I couldn't go with them
6. Ben and Jo were whisked off to a sunset Gondola ride in Central Park on a real Venetian-made Gondola

Pretty awesome, huh?

Anyway, while Ben and Jo were gone E and I ordered a drink from the bar and got shivers thinking about Ben popping the question. All too soon they were back, both grinning from ear to ear. E and I ran down to the dock to take a lot of photos of the newly engaged couple. Here are a some:

Jo was beaming. She said she had no idea, and the proposal was perfect. She was so excited she said she didn't even remember what she had said! Ben assured us she said yes. We laughed and hugged and congratulated them. We found out that Ben had asked Jo to marry him in Korean, how awesome is that? Then we sat down for dinner right on the lakeside and ordered champagne, appetizers, awesome food, and dessert. Jo wanted to know all the details of the secret planning, and E and I told her how hard it was not to tell anyone beforehand, because we were so excited!

The newly engaged couple:
And the ring!
We ended up hanging out much to late at the restaurant toasting Ben and Jo again and again. Finally we left, and outside where two rickshaws attached to bicycles. We decided to hop on, and the riders took us zooming through Central Park. What a great night.

Here is to Ben and Jo and a lifetime of happiness!

5 comments:

  1. How very cute!

    And so cool that you have relatives listed there. I think Ellis island is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, Brittney has been trying to get a hold of you to see if you can come to dinner with us on July 30th? She will be in town...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to go to dinner and see you and Britney! I just emailed her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin beat me to it- want to go to dinner on July 30th with Erin, Becky, and me? Let me know if that works for you.(rb_bradshaw@yahoo.com)
    We'll talk details later.
    See you soon,
    -Brittney
    P.S. Fun trip to New York!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to the happy couple!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails