Thursday, July 10, 2008

NYC - part 1

E and I just got back from New York, and we had such a wonderful time, what an AWESOME way to spend our second anniversary. Over the next day or two I will write 3-4 blog posts about our time in NY, because it is just too much to post all at once.

But for a preview: E and I celebrated our two year mark with tickets to Broadway! More to come on that later.

So we arrived on Long Island on Thursday after a hell of a day of travel. The flights were fine, but once we landed we had to take three trains (because we took the wrong one at one point) to get to our destination and fight with holiday Penn Station traffic - horrible. Once we finally arrived at our destination we grabbed a quick bite and headed to my second cousin's house. My dad's cousin Debbie and Steve have done really really well. Steve started a financial business, and because of this, he is very wealthy. The home and grounds they own are amazing, and it was really fun walking around the first night. I miss NY air so much sometimes, hot and heavy and humid. Everything is so so green, it almost hurts your eyes. Plus, the deep blue hydrangeas were in bloom, which are my favorite.

The next day we woke up, and an awesome NY bagel breakfast (they have no idea how to make bagels anywhere by NY) and headed to my Aunt's house where all the family was meeting. The primary reason we traveled to NY was because my Grandma was turning 90, and we were going to have a huge party for her. At my Aunt's my Grandma, cousins, uncles and aunts were starting to gather. It is so fun to see family after such a long time. My Grandma was beaming from ear to ear to see us, and all of my cousins were there.

That day we helped set up for the party, then just E, Melissa, Chandler and I we went to Joan's Beach for the day. We had such a great time. The water was FREEZING but the air was nice and warm. The entire beach was full and crowded with 4th of July beach goers. Chandler is doing so well, and it was such a huge relief to have him back to himself.

That night we all gathered again and decided to go out to dinner. We chose a little Thai restaurant in Merrick, and luckily they had a spot for all of us. My cousin Aaron ordered the food because he's been to Thailand twice, and everything was fantastic, but Thai food is impossible not to like.

That night we got Italian Ice and headed back to Debbie and Steve's house. There we enjoyed spending more time with extended family, and looking around their awesome house.

The next day was party day! Hillary (my cousin) and Jeremy arrived around noon with their two adorable kids. Sophia is almost 4 and totally adorable. Adam is one, and as sweet as any baby you have ever met. E and I realized how much we want to be parents, because these babies stole our hearts. Sophia even sang a song that she made up about princesses and kittens.

That night the rain clouds cleared and Carolyn's backyard was perfect for the party. All of my cousins, my dad's cousins, my grandma's sisters and my grandpa's sister's attended the party. It was so fun to see everyone again and try to remember how this person and that person are related. It was a wonderful family gathering, and my Grandma was so happy.

Here is the whole group:
And her is my Grandma (middle) with her two lovely sisters Elanor and Selma.
Soon the party came to a close and we kissed and hugged our family goodbye. Outside my cousins and I continued to hang out. We had a few bottles of wine and snacks, and we sat and chatted for quite awhile. It was wonderful to spend time with them.

Here is everyone- Jordan, Gordon, Megan, Me, Aaron, Melissa, Lauren, and Chandler. I'm not sure where E was when this photo was taken, because he was outside with us. Hillary and her family had left, because the babies needed to get to bed.
The next morning we woke up and enjoyed more fantastic NY bagels with family before heading towards the city.
More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails