Thursday, January 28, 2010

Grandma Barbara

Life has really thrown my family a curve ball. My wonderful, energetic, fantastic Grandma Barbara (the one that threw Ben and Jo's wedding this summer and throws fantastic parties) went in for a knee replacement surgery on Monday. She was so excited to get her new knee, ready to recover and get back to a summer of hiking and gardening. The surgery went well, and on Monday after her new knee was in place I talked to her, promising a visit the next day. She was excited and lucid.

And then the worst happened.

On Tuesday morning a physical therapist got her up to walk and her left side went numb. She had had a stroke.

Nothing could have prepared my family for this. Nothing.

She was rushed to the University of Utah hospital and right to the neurological intensive care unit. Her brain was swelling and we had no idea how much damage was done. But she was alive.

Over the last two days things have gone up and down. She was somewhat responsive on Wednesday, but today another clot moved to her lungs and she was put on oxygen. The doctors have no idea if things will get better or worse from here. It is very touch and go. Very very scary.

Tonight she had another procedure to place a device that will catch more clots if any move towards her heart. There are a few more clots in her leg, near her knee, so we are hoping this device is life saving if another clot is dislodged.

Needless to say, life has been really really stressful. It is horrendous to see someone you love so much, someone so full of life, to be so so sick.

We are wishing for a full recovery.

One of the things that makes me smile these days is my sweet sweet baby man. He is adorable and has really started to grin. Love him.

Isn't he just the sweetest? He had his two month shots this week and the next day was so sick with a tummy bug! I was so worried about him and my grandma, let's just say it wasn't a good day.
He's such a goof.
His eyes are so beyond beautiful. So blue. I wonder if they'll stay blue...
Just chilln' making his stressed out Mama happy. He's such a good baby.
Above: My Grandma Barbara on Easter right after we announced my pregnancy. I hope she is back to her old self soon.

12 comments:

  1. Jessica, I hope your Grandma gets well soon. When my grandma got really sick around Mother's Day it turned out to be a massive ulcer (this was a few days after they took out her gall-bladder which now we're thinking may have been unnecessary). We were terrified, but Grandma fought and fought, and bounced back. Because you have such a wonderful family I'm sure your Grandma is fighting very hard too. I will keep you guys in my thoughts.
    James is looking quite adorable and I'm loving his new grin. Just wait until he starts getting teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute pictures, Jess. And I do hope your grandma recovers soon. Surgeries are always scary for that reason and every time I've had one I get paranoid for the worst. Hang in there and I'm sure everything will turn out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your grandma gets well soon. I know things can be harder to recover from at that age, so I know what you're going through. I had a stroke (yes, me) a few years ago and recovered rather quickly, while my own grandma had one about the same time and hasn't been herself since. The good new is my grandma is MUCH older than yours! ;-)

    Our thoughts are with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica & Ethan,
    My thoughts and prayers are with you both. There is nothing worse that seeing a loved one so sick. We hope all turns out well.
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:42 PM

    Jessica, I am praying for you and your family. I hope that all things will go well and that your Grandma will be fine. Trust in the Lord and everything will be okay.

    ~Violet's #1 fan

    P.S. James is such a cute baby. He is growing up so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I was very close to my grandmother so I know how hard it must be for you. I pray that the amazing technology they have will be able to get her back to her engergetic self. My grandfather had a very serious stroke, and recovered completely and went on to live for 10 more years without incident.

    And your adorable James is just beyond sweet. What a wonderful grin, and yes beautiful eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jess, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma, I'm thinking about her and you right now. I hope she recovers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jess, I am so sorry to read about such an unfortunate turn of events. I know your Grandma Barbara is such an important part of your life. I really hope that with each passing day, there is hope for a healthy recovery.You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

    And James is looking so adorable! What great pics of your handsome little boy. I love that grin! I think he is looking more and more like E. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gertie5:10 PM

    Jessica- Thinking about your grandmother and hoping she will recover quickly. Seeing those you love so sick is really hard. You feel so helpless but you must stay positive.

    James is adorable. His grin put a grin on my face. He is so full of life and love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending healthy thoughts to your Grandma! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will keep your Grandma, and you, in my thoughts. How scary for everyone. My MIL had a stroke a few years ago and recovered completely. I hope your Grandma can enjoy such a positive turnaround as well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ethan1:54 PM

    Thanks for all the nice comments everyone!

    Zuke - Glad to hear you are doing ok!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails