Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Eve Party

Every year of my life my Grandma and Grandpa have hosed the most wonderful Christmas Eve party. It is my favorite thing about Christmas. I just love it.

And then three years ago my Grandpa got really really sick over Christmas, and died a few days later. Since then, my Grandma hasn't hosted, until this year, that is.

I was soooo thrilled to hear that she was up for hosting again. It was going to be hard, hosting something that my Grandpa loved so much, three years later. But, when we arrived on Christmas Eve, to the house decked to the nines, I asked her how she was feeling. She said a little sad, but good, she too loved this time of year.

My mom, Baby James, Mike and Melissa. One thing I love about Christmas Eve is we all dress up. Once, when I was about 15 years old, I even wore my prom dress.
E, my Grandma, Caity and Maurice enjoy the fantastic appetizers.
My Grandma, Brandon and Chuck.
And so the party began. James was fussy for most of the night (really causing some ringing in the ears at his standard 8:30 pm scream-fest time) but he was passed from person to person, and overall he wasn't too bad. Appetizers were fantastic, with my favorite being a cheese crab spread and some huge king shrimp. Dinner was beyond wonderful with glorious beef wellington being the centerpiece. My favorite fruit salad and hot potatoes accompanied it.

My grandma wanted me to read a little Christmas story in front of the fire, like in the old days, when we'd have little performances during the party. And then Laura and my mom had some pre-dinner games. Laura's was awesome, where everyone got a sealed envelope and we had to pass left and right around the circle as we listened to a story. When the story ended, you were given what was in your sealed envelope. Everyone received restaurant gift cards, mostly for $15-$25 to top Utah spots. E, however, was the grand prize winner (I know, how did I get so lucky?!) and won a $60 gift certificate to one of our favorite Italian restaurants in town!!! I was jumping up and down with Baby James when he opened his envelope. So exciting!

Dessert followed dinner and then Mike sat down at the piano and played an hour of Christmas songs while the rest of us sang. It was so so wonderful, doing this again finally. After James's good 30 minute cry, he felt asleep in his Daddy's arms as he was sung to. Such good memories.

James and I read a special Christmas story that she picked out. So fun!
The food.... yummy!

Me, James, Willow, my Grandma, Victor, Kendra and Melissa. Looks like James wasn't too fussy at this point of the party.
E, my Grandma and Melissa pass the sealed envelopes. Who will end up with what?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails