Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Nighttime

Things change so quickly, I wanted to type up what happens here on a typical night.

Around 5:00pm James wakes up for the evening. Most evenings he will not nap or relax, he is so fussy, and usually has a 30 minute good cry, usually at about 8:30. I try to feed him around five pm, and then again around 8:30 or nine.

Then, I try to get our little guy to bed by 10:00, but most nights he is fussing or wanting his binky until 11. This means that E or I are having to go into his room every 10-15 minutes for the next hour to rock him, replace his binky, or try to get him to calm down.

Then (when he finally drifts off) he usually sleeps until about 2:30 am when he starts crying and I wake up to feed him. I feed him on one side, then burp, diaper change, swaddle, and feed him on the other side. Then I rock him. And rock him. And rock him and hope to dear god that he falls asleep. He usually doesn't.

All in all it takes a little over an hour. I'm lucky if he is acting sleepy when I put him back in his crib. Usually we are up for another 30 minutes to an hour with more fussies.

Then, when he finally does go back to sleep, he can last until morning! Yes! My four week old baby is only waking up once a night, most nights. I am very very lucky. That said, many nights I'm not sleeping well. The other night while James was asleep and content I tossed and turned for hours. It was horrible.

Usually around 8 am he'll wake up for another feeding. I hope it gets better and better and before long, he's sleeping through the night.

This afternoon James was chill'n near the Christmas tree. He just looked up at it for about an hour. I thought it was so cute, had to snap a photo.
And a little video I took the other day of my baby man:

3 comments:

  1. I really miss those early, early days. My first born is now 19, but I dearly loved getting up for the late-night feedings and rocking him in the pitch dark while we listed to Peter, Paul & Mary really low. Then it was pretty special because when my son was about 12 years old we went together to an outdoor concert to see PP&M live. James is such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you just say that your son is read ont he screen but not red in real life? ;) I'm glad that you are loving being a mom! ...and I really miss your blog at work. :( Happy Holidays! We got your Holiday card; very cute!!!
    Kyle returns tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that is my favorite pic of the little guy so far. So cute!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails