Thursday, December 17, 2009

Bewitching hour

James is a fantastic baby. He really is. After I posted the other day that he only woke up once during the night, he proved me wrong and woke up three times that night, but that said, most nights he's only up once. Which is so so fantastic.

I'm sleeping a little better. Kinda. When James is sleeping, I have a hard time sleeping. Even at night, and I can't seem to fall asleep at all during the day.

And although I'm tired, I am so thankful to have such an easy baby. James usually wakes up around 8:00 or 9:00 in the morning. We do a feeding, have a baby bath, get him dressed, snuggle him and then he takes a little morning nap.

Come afternoon I try to sneak in lunch when he's still asleep, then feed him again and run some errands. He is a joy in the car when we are out and about. He sleeps or just looks around.

However, once I come home, the bewitching hour begins. In fact, the bewitching hour is not just an hour, oh no. More like five hours. He fusses, and eats, and fusses, and cries, and fusses, and poops, and fusses, and gets out all his pent up energy that he's been storing all day. It is stressful, but not horrible. This is what babies do, and I do love spending time when him when he's awake.

Most days E arrives home to find a very alert baby and a very sleepy Mama, and if we're lucky, we can get in a quiet dinner before the fussiness continues.

I'm not typing all of this to complain. James is fantastic, and all babies have fussy spells, or a bewitching hour. I'm typing it to remember, because every day is a little different, and one day this will all be in the past. I want to remember everything.

The other night I was working with James to get all of his energies out. It was almost 9:00 (way too late for a baby!) and he was wide awake. So I placed him in front of the Christmas tree on his tummy, so he could work on his strong neck, back and leg muscles.

He's a sweetie pie.

3 comments:

  1. Oh gosh! A bewitching hour?? It's good that he is an easy baby most of the time though :) Boy is he cute. love the video and he knew just when to raise his head... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Logan had a bewitching hour in the evening too. It only lasted for the first 2 or 3 months. I found that he usually had a tummy ache and if I held him on his tummy it helped also I used mylicon which are gas drops which also helped. Take this advice as needed. I know every baby is different and I was hesitant to give him medicine. Also check with you pediatrician for some tips. Enjoy this precious time good and bad because they grow so fast. Also I would love to meet this little guy when you are up for it. He is so dang cute in all those pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is just so darn cute! and smart! He lifted his head on request.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails