Thursday, March 04, 2010

Homemade play gym



Baby toys are crazy expensive. Really. A play gym can easily cost you $70 just for a few toys and the bars they dangle from. And, adding insult to injury, babies only want to lie (or is it lay?) under play gyms for 6 months tops, once they are sitting, they are useless.

So I refused to buy one.

The other day I was noticing how much more James was focusing on toys and swiping for them, and was trying to think about how I could make a homemade play gym. All his toys have clips on them, so I just needed something to clip them to. Then I realized the bottom of his crib! A perfect height for his toys. I clipped all his toys on it, placed him under, and watched him discover for the first time that he could touch the things in front of him. It was so neat to watch, and over the last couple of days he's gotten better and better about reaching out to touch his toys.

I always thought it was a little cliche when moms would say they loved watching their babies learn new things. I mean come on! But it is so amazing. I love it.

2 comments:

  1. Thrifty and creative! You are so right about Play gyms Jess, this is a great solution. I did get a kick toy, used, for the kids. It was fun watching them figure out how to kick it and see the toys spin. Garage sale season is around the corner!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails