Friday, September 16, 2011

Millcreek Canyon for a hotdog roast

On Wednesday (right at the point where I'd had enough with my little devil son), we were supposed to be in Millcreek Canyon for a hot dog roast with my family.

I felt worn out and beat. I didn't want to go. But the pasta salad was made and ready, and E was all set to meet us up there. So I packed the babe and took the twenty minute drive up the beautiful Utah mountains.

Once there James was a new kid. Listening to his Mama (gasp!), playing with his aunts and uncles, throwing rocks in the river and being all around nice to be with.

My Aunt Laura had brought an amazing amount of food, from a full appetizer spread to hot dogs, corn, grilled onions, baked beans and all the fixings. My Grandma Barbara (with help) brought the most amazing fruit salad, my Mom and Chuck brought dessert and we brought a pasta salad full of garden veggies. Everyone was thrilled to be in the fresh air.

E arrived shortly after, and the entire evening was flawless. Just what I need after such a doozy of a day. James was delightful all night and didn't even try to stick his hand in the fire, which is miraculous, to say the least.

The best part of the cookout, according to James, is hanging out with the very best person in the world. His Dada. Doesn't his face just kill ya?
He did a lot of exploring the picnic site. Up and down the trails, back and forth. Such a good hiker.
Brandon is amazing with James. He took him to see the waterfall a few times and picked up the biggest rocks for James to hurl into the water. These two love each other.
Chandler and Melissa. Yep, all three of my siblings were in one place at one time. It was a miracle!
Later James found this huge branch and insisted on carrying it around with him. It would almost trip him and knock him over. He'd just adjust his hands and continue on.

My Grandma is a different person than she was before her stroke. She is forgetful. She is insistent. She can't tell time very easily. But? She loves James more than anything, and when you're old and alone, that counts for a lot. Thanks Grandma for organizing such a fun evening.

5 comments:

  1. Amazing pictures!! Excellent!!

    Salut, Francesc from Barcelona

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love going up Millcreek Canyon for picnics. We do it at least one a year. I'm glad James was well behaved for a little while at least!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics! I'm so jealous that y'all are in sweaters already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Cute! Glad James shook himself out of his mood.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails