Monday, August 04, 2008

Old friends

Last week while E was in Japan and I was left to my own devices I reconnected with some old friends. I am so happy I did, we had a blast.

First on Monday I reconnected with Katie M. Katie was my best friend from the time I was 12 until I was 16. She was three years younger than me and lived two doors down the street. There are so many wonderful memories about the times I spent with Katie, which was literately every day after school and every weekend. Our favorite activities were playing with our doll-house dolls or our American Girl dolls, exploring the neighborhood, jumping on the trampoline, and talking for endless hours about our crushes.

Katie and I met on Monday at a restaurant and caught up on everything. I wanted to tell her how sorry I was to hear about her brother passing away and find out what direction life was taking her. We ended up talking for hours and laughing about what dorks we were. There are a few things that I am remembering now, like the time Katie bit my arm and I ran home crying, and or the time my cat killed her hamsters (sorry about that!). Or the time we got busted climbing on the fences behind Alan Orr's house, and Katie ratted me out, but told Alan that her name was "Lindsey Orr" which was hilarious! (Lindsey was Alan's daughter).

Anyway, I dug up some photos of Katie , here they are.
Katie had stick straight hair, but one night during a sleepover she let me curl her hair in sponge rollers.
I remember this evening so well. The light was really pretty, so Katie and I grabbed a camera and shot the entire roll of film. Not many photos turned out, but this one with the cherry tree did.
Then on Wednesday I met up with three other long lost friends! Brittney, Erin and Becky! These three woman were some of my best friends through the hardest part of a teenager's life (ninth, tenth and eleventh grade). Looking back now, I wish I had stayed closer friends with them through my senior year, I separated myself from their group because I wasn't Mormon, but history is history .

Anyway, back to Wednesday - we had a ball! All four of us met up at Zupa's and got soup and salads. We sat outside and ended up talking for three hours. We chatted about college, boys, life, kids, family and everything else. It is amazing that we haven't been close in ten years, and still things feel familiar and fun. Brittney is doing fantastic, she lives with her hubby and two children in Nevada. Erin is such a smarty (she always was) and she is just finishing her Masters (or is it PhD?) at BYU. And Becky is doing fantastic, she and her husband live in Cottonwood Heights with their two children.

(Funny side-note: while at Zupa's we ran into Alan Orr, the same guy that had busted me for climbing his fence with Katie years before).

I also dug up photos of them when we were younger, so here they are:
Brittney, me and Erin in the front of my house. We printed this photo in black and white, then my mom taught us how to color it.
This is my bedroom. Melissa, Erin, Leslie, Amy and Brittney trashed it while I was away for my 16th birthday. There was toilet paper, newspaper and confetti everywhere! It was really fun to sneak into Erin's room for her birthday a month later and do the same to her room.
Brittney, me, Jacee, Erin and Becky (front) hike the Mormon Pioneer trail. All I remember from this hike was how HOT it was!
What else kept me busy while E was away? Oh, packing about 600 boxes. The house is looking pretty empty.

2 comments:

  1. It is pretty fun that we chatted like we hadn't talked in years. I think that's a quality of good friends! Brittney and I both said how much we missed your facial expressions when you tell stories, too. :) I do hope we do it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and it's actually through USU, but everyone gets confused since I still live in Provo. :)

    ReplyDelete

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails