Friday, August 13, 2010

Lagoon day {Two rides!}


Each year E's company hosts a day at Utah's theme park Lagoon. E's family loves to meet us there and join us for a day of rides and laughs. Last year was tough. I was pregnant, hot, and only rode about three rides.

This year I rode only two rides. And one was the train which is geared towards toddlers.

However, today was a very good test run for NYC.

We arrived at Lagoon around 1:00 pm after James's morning nap. Immediately I wanted to take my little baby man on the merry-go-round. There were spots where I could sit next to him, hold him and enjoy the spinning and the lights. We waited in line, quite happily, for a moment...

Isn't he just adorable waiting in line for the merry-go-round?
And then he heard something, or saw something, or smelled something but he suddenly got really really scared and started crying really hard. I cuddled him and walked away from the ride and the crowds, but it is just heartbreaking to see fat crocodile tears rolling down his cheeks.

So we decided to forgo the merry-go-round.

Instead we headed over to the little train station to wait for the vintage steam engine train that took you around the lake. James liked watching the train, for a moment...

Grandma Connie and James watch the train approach. This is a real steam train, one of the few left in the country. I love it.


Before the train ride starts, as you can see, he was a little unsure.
When we boarded and started to go the train whistled and again, big tears sprung from his little blue eyes. I turned him around so he was facing me and held him close. I told him he was a good brave big boy and luckily the tears began to slow. He stayed snuggled up next to me for the entire six minute ride, and didn't see much other than my shirt, but we were making progress.

Then we met E's coworkers for lunch in a shady pavilion. James happily shared my jello salad and chicken strips.

After lunch we walked around Pioneer Village (a really neat and interesting pioneer town that is all original to Utah) and got a snow cone. After two long hours of some mild fussies, he fell asleep. Yes people, HE FELL ASLEEP in his stroller! Yea!! There is hope for NYC!

No, his nap was not long, but it did give E and I time to leave the baby in the stroller with E's mom while we jumped on our favorite roller coaster of the park: Wicked. This roller coaster is so damn fun, scary, and wonderful. I love it.

Two rides down. Maybe by next year we can raise the number back up to three.

1 comment:

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails