Monday, August 16, 2010

NY Travel Day {Success!}

We woke up bright and early to a screaming baby the day we were due to leave for NY. This never happens. We thought maybe he was sick? Or teething? But after some booby milk and snuggles he calmed down. Suddenly, I was really really nervous to spend four hours on a long flight with this child.

What were we getting ourselves into?

Arriving at the airport was uneventful. James sleepily chilled in his stroller. E, being the frequent flier that he is, has access to Delta’s Sky Club, so instead of waiting for our flight in the terminal, we headed into the lounge and had free drinks. I figured if I was about to fly across the country willingly with an overtired baby, I might as well have a Bloody Mary.

Thank goodness for the Sky Club and free drinks.

James happily played in the lounge and ate a muffin until it was time to board. It was a full flight so James sat on our lap. Takeoff was a breeze and James conked out as soon as we were in the air. His nap was short lived (only 30 minutes) but he woke happy and played on our laps for the rest of the flight. Not once did he fuss. What? How’d he get so perfect?

And then we landed at JFK. Have I ever mentioned how much I despise this airport?

We landed on time and sat on the tarmac for over an hour. They said the terminal was full. Yea, one additional hour. It was horrible.

Playing with Daddy is the best!

While we waited on the tarmac (did I say for over an hour!?) James chilled on my seat while I stood up. Happy now...
James at this point started to get fussy, and the fussies turned to cries, and 15 minutes before they FINALLY let us off the damn plane he was sobbing. Then he conked out in my arms. When we exited the plane he luckily stayed asleep while I moved him to his stroller.

JFK’s baggage claim is also a joke. I really hate this airport.

After over 45 minutes standing at a cramped carousel with four flights assigned to it, we finally got our bags. My aunt Carolyn was waiting for us outside (so great!) and we got to my Grandma’s house on Long Island within 30 minutes.

NY pizza and a very excited Grandma were waiting for us. My Grandma had yet to meet James (the entire purpose of this trip) and was practically dancing on her 92 year old legs as I walked up the step to meet her. James, despite having very few hours of sleep, charmed everyone. He laughed, he played, he ate dinner and giggled as I bathed him for bed. My Grandma was thrilled to have finally met her great grandson.

And then, by the time I placed him in the travel crib for the night he conked out before he realized he was in an unfamiliar environment. AND he slept all night, uninterrupted. He rocks.

"GG" (Great Grandma) and James meet at last. GG got him this wonderful classic Fisher Price phone. He was thrilled.
And the travel crib was a success! He sleeps in it, quite well. Yipee!

3 comments:

  1. When I bought that travel crib for my own babies, I never dreamed it would travel so far! I'm glad James is having a good time. Your plants and kittie-wittes are fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad you are able to do blog posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:33 PM

    glad everything went well. I can't believe he slept on the plane, I can't even do that. I'm sure grandma was dancing to see Jame's, he is the best! Miss you three already! keep up dating the blog.

    Auntie Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails