Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas Eve 2011

Christmas Eve started out the best way possible, James slept in until 8:15. Oh my word! That is late for him. As soon as we were up we shuffled into the kitchen in our jammies so we could cook breakfast. James waits all week for the weekends so he can cook with Dada. He is always beyond thrilled when E is home requesting "cook, cook, cook!" as soon as he sees him.

The menu for Christmas Eve? Gingerbread waffles. It felt only felt right to have a festive Christmasy meal on Christmas Eve.
James is a master helper. Although he has a stool, he almost always wants to be picked up so he can be in the thick of things.


Paired with hot tea and real maple syrup, these babies were divine.
And somehow when things are topped with syrup our pickiest eater forgets he's picky.
The afternoon was filled with a long nap, finishing wrapping presents, and lying in the sunshine on the couch. Perfection.
As I stated earlier, my Mom and Chuck decided to host Christmas Eve this year. In addition to a fantastic dinner, they also decided to open presents the night before, which was such a wonderful idea. I was able to spend non-rushed time with all my siblings, and enjoy my Mom's beautiful house all decked out for the holidays.
James wore his festive sweater again and was happy to say "cheese" to the camera.
The entire time I was growing up Christmas Eve consisted of shrimp cocktails, homemade bread, and other amazing finicky homemade goodies. My mom decided since Christmas Eve is now her tradition, that she was going to make it her own. We had none of the traditional Christmas Eve foods, instead she ordered Thai take-out from the most amazing Thai restaurant Salt Lake City has to offer. It was daring, wonderful, and such a fantastic change. Everyone LOVED the food and we didn't feel quite as sad with the change of tradition when if felt new and different and fun.
Brandon, Kathleen, my Mom, E, and "Sissa".
The pile of presents was seriously out of this world huge. Everyone had tons of goodies to open and each item was wonderful. I exchanged with my siblings, Mom and Chuck, and Grandma as well, and everything was received with excitement.
My Grandma burst into tears when she opened her James, Year 2 book. I made her one last year, also, of James's first year. These books are so easy and fun to make, and my Grandma counts them as some of her most loved possessions.
Even James had a pile of presents.
My friend Naina sent these Trader Joe's applesauce packets that we had opened earlier in the day. James LOVED them and when, mid-party, he was getting fussy, I pulled one out, put on his bib, and let him go to town. Fussies vanished.
Chandler and Kathleen.
The dining room table.
Everyone enjoying the first course, Tom Kha soup. (Have you ever had this soup? Oh my word! If not, order it the next time you're out for Thai, you will not be disappointed!)
James happily ate Mac and Cheese.
Soup and dinner. I am in love with this new Thai food tradition. Oh my word, yum!

And the night ended with placing this huge slide in the living room. Christmas was yet to come!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:48 AM

    I also really love the new tradition, the meal was amazing!!! I still have time off I want to come play with the slide!!

    Auntie Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails