Tuesday, December 06, 2011

St. Nicholas Tea {and Three Years of Then and Now}

Each year on or around December 6th E's family hosts a tea to celebrate St. Nicholas Day. It is such a fun tradition because although it is close to Thanksgiving, it has an entirely different feel, and it really kicks off the Christmas season for me.

A traditional English tea is served around 4:00 pm with finger sandwiches, scones and dessert, and of course tea. This is exactly the menu Connie has each year. We devour the most amazing little finger sandwiches, nibble scones (that my wonderful husband always makes from scratch) and laugh over dessert.

James has been a part of this tradition since he was about two weeks old (here is the St. Nicholas post from 2009!).

This year he was on his best behavior eating a lot on his plate and making everyone laugh at his silly antics. He had juice instead of tea, and once we were done at the table he did a lot of playing with his adoring family in the living room.

Why can't all Sundays be this wonderful?
Dang E looks sharp. As does my little boy. James loved the fire and said "warm" whenever he was around it.
So dang delicious. I could eat finger sandwiches every day of my life.
The group, sans me.
Near the end of the evening James climbed up on the couch between E and his Uncle Joe. As he sat there smiling, he said "family". Oh my gosh this kid knows how to melt me into a pile of love.
This was taken two years ago at James's first St. Nicholas tea.
And this is from last year.
And this year! Three years already. What?!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jessica - I used to post on the AG boards and have stopped lately but I still follow your blog on Google Reader and love seeing your photography of SLC and of James. St. Nicholas Tea sounds like such a wonderful holiday tradition! I'd love to start a tradition like that in my family as well...maybe next year I will. :)

    ReplyDelete

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails