Sunday, November 08, 2009

Goodbye Moosey

Our funny, grumpy and impossibly old kitty Moose died today. E and I went on a wonderful walk this afternoon at Red Butte Garden and came home to find a very sad sight, our kitty Moose, collapsed in the hall. We were so shocked and saddened. E stayed quiet and heroic, I burst into tears. Our other two kitties, Mabel and Rumpus, looked on, worried. We gathered up Moose's body, and took him to the pet ER to make sure he was gone, not just unconscious. Then, came home and dug a grave in our backyard near where we have the moss path. It was so sad to cover up his body with cold dark earth. I cried and cried. Next spring we'll plant some moss on Moose's spot. And next time we spot a beautiful striped rock, we'll bring it home and place it on his grave, afterall, Moosey was our striped boy.

Moose was quite old, 18 in fact, and by the looks of it he went quickly. However, it was a surprise, just yesterday he snuggled E and I when we took a mini afternoon nap, and he was chasing my hand only 24 hours ago in the kitchen. He snuggled on the bed this morning in his favorite spot, and I remember petting his head as I was getting dressed. Because it was so sudden, I can only hope he was not in pain long.

I will really miss my sweet man, my Moose.









7 comments:

  1. I am so sad to hear that Moosey passed away today. Moosey was such a beautiful cat and after 18 years, I am sure you have so many memories that you will cherish forever. It seems like he didn't suffer but rather passed quickly. I am sure you, E, and your other kitties miss Moosey so much. I am so sorry for your loss. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about your beloved Moosey. It sounds like he lived a full and happy life. I hope you find that perfect striped rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear that! I enjoyed reading about your sweet little kitty and seeing the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post made me cry. Losing kitties is so hard. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. herzliches beileid

    so ist das leben das beste geht immer zuerst
    aber er wird es auch nun nicht schlecht haben
    und in gedanken immer bei euch sein

    pfotenknuddel
    remmy

    ReplyDelete
  6. BeckaJo4:28 PM

    I am so sorry. It is so hard to lose a companion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful pictures of Moose! I am so sorry, it is just so hard to say goodbye to our kitties. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails