Monday, July 05, 2010

Cabin for the 4th

Yesterday, to celebrate the forth of July, E and I took the babe up to my cabin for the first time. We love to go to the cabin for the forth because it lets us celebrate in the mountains (there is nothing better than celebrating in the mountains) and gets the dogs, who are scared of fireworks, out of the valley.

We headed up Big Cottonwood Canyon and over Guardsman's Pass around lunch time so we could be home for James's morning nap.

Upon arriving we were flooded with love. Grandma Debbie and Great Grandma Barbara could not wait to hold the little man. He smiled and grinned. Auntie Melissa gave him kissies as he giggled happily.

Then we decided to go down to the meadow to show James, because the meadow at my cabin is my favorite place in the entire world. My grandma decided to join us and walked on the uneven path the entire way. Her ability to heal from her stroke inspires me every day.

James happily looked around the meadow, tasted some grass and dandelions, and saw my cousin Taylor again. He's been away at college so the last time they met, James was only one month old.

E and I were both excited to use the baby backpack again so once back at the cabin we loaded James up and joined my Aunt Laura and mom on the one mile jaunt to "our lake".

Again James happily looked around and smiled the entire time. Once at the lake we stopped and let him get out of the pack. We didn't stick around for long because there was a cold wind blowing off the lake, but I'm sure by next summer he'll be wanting to put his feet in the water.

Back at the cabin we went inside to warm up (it was an unusually chilly July 4th) and started the dutch ovens. E had smoked four pounds of ribs the night before and was excited to heat them back up and get the homemade cherry chocolate cake started.

James and I snuggled and soon we walked back down to the meadow to enjoy the sun that was now low in the sky.

Dinner was soon served (very yummy!) and as we ate I mentioned the best day of my life, five years ago, when I got engaged in Africa. It spurred a conversation about what was the best day of each of our lives. Each of us told about our favorite day, and soon it was E's turn to speak. He said "two weeks after James was born. The first two weeks were full of worry and stress, but then we got into it, and it was the most wonderful time of my life." Wow. You can see why I'm crazy about this guy. Totally brought a tear to my eye.

All too soon we loaded a very sleepy boy into his car seat and drove down the canyon in the setting sun. The mountains around us were pink and gold, seemingly celebrating the country's birthday.

It was a wonderful forth. And I had such a fun time showing my baby the place I've loved dearly since I was a baby.

When we got there everyone was inside it was so chilly outside. James was thrilled to see his two Grandmas again.

Love this photo of my grandma. Looks like her old self. And neck kissies from Auntie Melissa.

On the way to the meadow James wanted to touch every single tree. "Aspen" I told him.
1- Tasting grass. 2- Eating grass. 3- He says "I'm not impressed Mama"

Picking dandelions in the meadow. This is my favorite photo from the day trip. Love it.
My Grandma and E slowly walk down to the meadow. And E and James sit on the pipe in the meadow. I remember sitting here when I was tiny, as well.

Hiking up to the lake under the spectacular Utah sky.
Our lake! Yea!
Family photo at the lake. James's first time of many trips to the lake.
Some photos from the trail. In addition to tasting grass and dandelions, the backpack must be licked too.

Once back from our hike James warms his toes in front of the fire.
Back down to the meadow in the setting sun.

Love this photo my brother Chandler snapped of us. Love the light, love the babe, love everything.
E workn' hard on the ribs!

3 comments:

  1. I loved the tour of your wonderful cabin. The meadow and lake are stunning! James is getting so big, he is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:52 AM

    what a cute little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eating grass, hehe. :) I love the third picture in that sequence. I also love the look on his face in the fireplace picture.

    ReplyDelete

Lovely thoughts:

Related Posts with Thumbnails